The “GenerateResource” task failed unexpectedly

I recently started getting this error on a solution:

GenerateResource

It didn’t actually report any errors, other than this and, no matter what I tried (deleting the suo file, rebuilding, cleaning, etc.), it wouldn’t go away.

Finally, I ran up a command prompt and tried to compile it there. I immediately got this error:

MyViewModel.cs(63,28): error CS1056: Unexpected character ‘$’ [C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\MyApp\MyApp\kqlonrzo.tmp_proj]

Okay, so, the project definitely did use the new $ character. Here’s the thing, whilst I was trying to compile using VS2015, the version of the command prompt that I had run was 2012. The next thing was to try running the command prompt for VS2015.

This gave a less than useful error regarding `MyProject.csproj.metadata` file. So, next I tried compiling the project directly from the command line.

Finally, that worked. Unfortunately, I was unable to break the compile again. However, it isn’t the first time that I’ve encountered this error: hence this post.

So, whilst not proven, for next time, try compiling the solution using the command line and, if that doesn’t work, try compiling the individual project file first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *